Monday 14 September 2015

‘Women are beautiful creatures men can’t do without’

“Another person I love so much is Noble Igwe for the spotlight he’s put on African fashion. He makes Agbada look so easy to pull off and he inspired the Danshiki trend among ladies,” she noted.
Though Nigerian ladies are known to be fashion enthusiasts, she pointed out obvious blunders some of them commit.

“I think some ladies tend to follow the trend rather than what fits their body type. One should be comfortable in whatever makes you happy and I think instagram has created that illusion,” she explained.

Toke, as she is fondly known, has decided to live life to the fullest.
“Life itself is thrilling. Waking up every day is awe-inspiring, it means I have another opportunity to touch lives and be the best I can in this world. Also, it dawned on me recently that this is my life and there is no repetition! I have decided to live it to the fullest. For the fact that I’m a woman adds to it. Women are powerful, even though we hate ourselves most of the time. Maybe because most women have self esteem issues based on upbringing, emotional abuse, peer pressure and so on. The negative thing about us being ‘strong’ as individuals is that we do not admit we need help, we would rather keep the pain and hurt we go through and this is translated into negative energy.

This ends up affecting the people we know and do not know. Why would a lady hate you on your instagram picture without even knowing you, just because you are having the attention she isn’t having. We can love ourselves more by first loving yourself because you can’t share love if you don’t know love. Accept that it is okay to be imperfect and celebrate others.
“Having said that, we are still beautiful creatures that men can’t do without and God made it so. Also, we are life nurturers. If women are given the same opportunity as men, we would do 10 times ahead or more. To be candid, I have never regretted being a woman.

If I were to come back to this life as a woman, I wouldn’t hesitate. I enjoy the challenge of being the ‘weaker vessel’ but supporting the ‘stronger vessel’. Women are strong, resilient, life givers and we take this God-given passion to our jobs and relationships,” she said.

What has life taught this fashion icon?
“Life has taught me to be humble and kind. Humility uplifts, kindness elongates one’s life. I have also learned that God and my family are those I talk to when I’m down. Spending enough time with them alleviates sorrow or despair. Also, I would like to say that I have never hated a fellow woman, no matter what. Even when I get hate stares from some that I don’t even know because I look good and drive a beautiful car, I laugh and just do my own thing,” she giggled.

This style aficionado still cherishes some fond memories of her childhood.

“God bless my parents. I had the best childhood one can think of. I still remember the fun parties my dad threw almost every weekend. I got a chance to rock ‘Ijo Shina’ and got money from my dad and his friends (laughs). I was and still is a fan of Shina Peters,” she reminisced.

What books does she read?
“I rather prefer reading newspapers. That is the closest to knowing what is going on in my country. Aside that, I love entertainment journals and magazines because of the kind of job I do. Ebony Magazine (to appreciate black people all over the world), Genevieve Magazine because of their spotlight on women,” she saidd.

Talking about mentoring, this class lady who of course is some people’s mentor has “Mo Abudu as my mentor. Aside the fact that she is a woman who also understands the craft of journalism, she is strong and successful in an industry that is male-dominated. It takes a lot of self worth, passion, dedication and perseverance to be all she is today,” she said.

0 comments: