Monday 14 September 2015

Being beauty queen has changed my life –Olivia-Sandra

Olivia-Sandra Chuma is a model, two-time beauty queen and actress. She is a beauty with brains. Bubbly, positive, she loves challenges. In this interview with ADAEZE AMOS, this Mass Communication graduate speaks about life as a beauty queen.
You are the ‘Face of New Waves Nigeria’, what is it all about?
‘Face of New Waves Nigeria’ youth pageant is a competition organised to get a suitable ambassador that would assist in empowering Nigerian youths. The NGO is called New Nigerian Waves Initiative. It’s an NGO that supports youths and helps in creating skill acquisition programmes.
 Can you relive the night of the pageant?
I remember that night like it was just yesterday. There were 20 pretty ladies with lots of poise, charisma and confidence. Let me say, it was tough. I never believed I was going to win. I felt challenged when it came to beauty, perfect smiles and carriage. I was scared until it was time for the question and answer segment for the 10 finalists. In fact, I was really impressed with myself at how well I could stand and answer every question thrown at me with ease and calmness. I believe my confidence and ability to answer my questions gave me an edge over the other ladies.
 Before you became a beauty queen, you were a professional model, why did you choose a career in modeling?
Ever since I was a little girl, I have always loved entertainment, especially modelling. I saw myself as a Nigerian Tyra Banks (laughs), gracing the runway for the most top Nigerian fashion designers. As I came of age, I realised it wasn’t as easy as I thought. Though, I got runway jobs and other forms of modelling, I felt something was still missing. I was encouraged by my friends to try out beauty pageants, but I laughed my way out of it because I felt it wasn’t real but scams to extort money from young ladies.
Besides, I never saw myself as being pretty enough to compete in a beauty pageant. I won my first pageant which was ‘Two Sides Model Look’ in 2013.Was I shocked? Of course I was. My thoughts about pageants were wrong. I began having a change of mind like could this be what I had been missing. I tried again in 2014 and I didn’t win. I decided to do it again this year to know if it was really meant for me. I excelled and I’m proud to say I was initially wrong about the perception I had about pageants. I became more aware of what I want, who I am and what I stand for.
 What’s your take on beauty queens who fail to use their platforms well?
I don’t judge people and I can’t really place the reason for some of the queens not using their platforms for anything. I would say it’s more of mismanagement.
 And what have you used your platform as a beauty queen to achieve so far?
I tried as much as I can to empower our Nigerian youths by organising seminars and workshops, forums, where we sat and interacted on how we could better our lives through skill acquisition programmes. I had visited schools, educated some students on how to make the right choice in choosing a career path in life. Right now, I’m currently working on a project I call ‘Legends of Today’. It is very challenging and requires a lot of governmental support. I really don’t want to go into much detail because it’s still a working process.
 Can you reach out to mothers who don’t allow their daughters participate in beauty pageants?
Beauty pageant is a thing of honour. It is something mothers should encourage their daughters to go into. It can help a girl to gain courage, believe in herself, stand out in the crowd and also make her discover herself. It’s an experience of a lifetime. A girl learns positive things while taking part in beauty pageants. It is very educative too. Every mother knows the kind of daughter she gave birth to. I advise that the best thing is to believe in that child and know she would make you proud.
 What have you gained from being a beauty queen?
Being a beauty queen has changed my life drastically. I became more aware of what I can do, became brave and more confident. I started living a positive life, believing that every challenge comes with a reason.
 Who are you aspiring to be like in the beauty world?
This could sound like a cliché, but I would say Agbani Darego. This is because Agbani is a positive lady, a brand ambassador, she didn’t quit even after her tenure as ‘Miss World’. She has a clothing line to her name and lives a non controversial lifestyle. She multi-tasks and is very versatile. Who wouldn’t want to be like her?
 Most beauty queens dump their boyfriends once they win the diamond-studded crown. Have you dumped yours?
Wow, this question is funny. I think it’s really not necessary dumping your boyfriend because you were crowned a beauty queen. Tenure comes and go but your man will always be there for you. For me, I wasn’t in a relationship, so I thank God it never happened.
 What thrills you most about beauty pageants?
The fact that I could do it. I mean the fact that I could actually compete and win a pageant is something that thrills me till this day. You gain recognition and respect from people, especially my mum being proud of me as a queen, is mind-blowing.
 What’s your regret in life?
I don’t have regrets whatsoever. AS I said, I live a positive life now and could never have wished for a more better life.
 When you are set to attend a glamorous event, how do you dress to reflect who you are?
I try as much as I can to step out looking responsible, because I am there to represent youths of this country.
 What are some styles you won’t be caught in as a queen?
To wear sheer dresses without a proper inner wear is certainly not my style.
 What is the craziest thing a male fan has ever done to you?
The craziest thing a male fan has done to me was stalking me all the way from Lagos Island to the estate on the Mainland.
 What fashion accessory forms a larger part of your wardrobe?
My shoes, I love my shoes. They are my babies.
 What lesson has life taught you?
Life has taught me to be patient, to believe, never accept defeat, embrace challenges and turn it into positives. Life has taught me to be happy all the time and never forget where I am coming from or turn back from where I am going.
 What is your philosophy?

Live your life as if every day is going to be your last. For me, life is beautiful, I live it fabulously well.

0 comments: