Monday 21 September 2015

‘My wife abandoned me for her career ’

A 38-year-old engineer, Abimbola Adebayo, has told an Ikeja Customary Court in Lagos that his wife packed out of their home two months after they had a quarrel. Abimbola was responding to a divorce suit filed by his 35-year-old wife, Omoniyi. He said that his family was living in peace until last year when he lost his job. “My wife is too stubborn and just too materialistic.

I was the one who got her the job she is doing presently. But after we got married, I told her it will be better she becomes self employed so that she will have enough time for herself and the children. She refused to listen to me. I even promised I was going to open a big supermarket for her to manage but she insisted on continuing with the job. This was the cause of our quarrel.

I returned from work one day only to find out that she had packed her things and left with our seven-year old boy without my consent. “When I called her, she told me she was no longer interested in the marriage and that she could not continue to cope with me and my unnecessary demands.
All attempts to reach her again proved abortive as she had changed her telephone number.” Omoniyi told the court that he was taking good care of his family until he lost the job. He submitted that he gave her all the comfort he could afford, yet she was unyielding. Abimbola also accused Omoniyi of infidelity, saying that she was secretly dating another man. He consented to the dissolution of the 10-year marriage, saying that he was no longer interested in being married to Omoniyi. Omoniyi, a telecom engineer, had filed a divorce suit, claiming that Abimbola was irresponsible and a womanizer. “My husband is a womanizer and goes after anything in skirt. I even caught him with my niece in a compromising situation in our matrimonial home” she said. She added that Abimbola’s allegations were just a tissue of lies, saying, “He is lying against me just because he is jealous of me and wants to render me useless, which was why he is insisting on my resigning from my place of work.”

0 comments: