Sunday 27 September 2015

I started acting while in primary school –Bridget Chigbufue

 Which movie shot you into the limelight?
Funnily, it was my very first soap opera where I played ‘Essien’, the bush Calabar girl, that brought me out. A lot of people saw it, it’s funny, and they loved it. That was how I started really. Then ‘Game Plan’ another movie, a lot of people referred to me because of the fame I got from that movie. Those are the two major movies that brought me into the limelight. Interestingly, ‘Game Plan’ is a production that is always aired in ‘Africa Magic’. You can imagine how many people watch ‘Africa Magic’. It’s crazy, we are getting better and stronger.
 What was your most challenging role so far?
I have been in movies and soaps; I think every role is different and challenging. That particular one I did where I played as a Calabar bush girl, I had to watch a lot of Calabar movies just to be able to act to reality, to be able to deliver the right accent for the character. She was supposed to be a bush Calabar girl as I said who couldn’t speak English well. I had to learn about it, watch so many movies that had Calabar intonations. I just had to learn it. I changed my L to R and my A to G, it was crazy. But it turned out right. Even in the ‘Game Plan’, I played the role of a bad girl. Every role has a weird challenge. But the idea is to beat that challenge, so as to deliver. So every production has been a challenging one for me.
 Which actor would you love to be paired to bring out your best in a romance role?
Truth is that there isn’t anyone in particular because you can never tell what goes on in a person’s mouth. There is really nobody that I have thought about.
 How was your growing up?
Growing up was very interesting and nice. I grew up in Lagos. It was at an estate, so we had kids playing up and down and going to the same school. We played downstairs and never forgot ‘Tales by Moonlight’ or ‘Super Ted’ as a child. I never forget all those games we used to play, ‘Twinkle-Twinkle’ and the rest of them. Those were the childhood days and everyday even when I’m down now as a grown up, I relive those moments. I would also never forget my secondary school days, I was a boarder all through and it was crazy. You know how it was junior girls being punished. It was interesting and it’s a moment I would never forget. And, of course, my three weeks camp in Lagos as a youth corps member. Lagos was an amazing place and it is still amazing. All these experiences have impacted in one way positively in my life, especially in school when I used to do stage dramas and all that. It was an amazing experience. I mean that I started acting on stage right from primary school and it has now become something else for me.
 Who do you aspire to be like in Nollywood and Hollywood?
As I said, I’m an actor and at present I have so many people I’m aspiring to be like. Rita Dominic is one of them. She has tried her best. I like Stephanie Okereke Linus for her carriage and strength. She is a strong woman. I admire Joke Silva, she has an amazing diction, loving home and marriage. I love the fact that she has been married for so many years in the industry and there is nothing wrong and they are still going strong. Mercy Johnson is a versatile actress and I love her for that. There are lots of up-and-coming actresses that are also amazing. I can’t really mention all their names. For Hollywood, I love Angela Basat, she is an amazing actress. I love Charlie Sterone, she has a strong personality and she carries her character really strongly. I love the weirdness that it brings along from Jenifer Armston, she is crazy and the will to want to defeat every crazy thing you have is amazing when she does it. Then for presenting, I still love the late Joan Rivers. She was witty.
In entertainment industry, fashion and lifestyle, it’s kind of like my main thing in presenting. As a TV Presenter, I love her. I also love Tricia. I like her down-to-earth mannerisms even doing her show. It’s one that I think every show in Nigeria both the TV should have…an opportunity to be down-to-earth, to be able to say things the right way and to be able to criticise or scold whoever that is on set even when the person is wrong. Do it because the person needs to hear the truth. Only the truth should be on air. That is what she does. Oprah Winfrey is an inspirational woman who has given and built a lot out of her career. I would always like to be like her when I grow up.
 Can you relive your debut on movie?
It was in 2011 in a movie entitled ‘Open Heavens’. I got that role through an audition in Benin. I had finished school and I was awaiting youth service. I was good, he liked the way I interpreted that role. I’m glad that he gave me that opportunity. Lancelot the movie producer also put me through in some other things that we needed as a screen actor. It was a nice experience and I would never forget that one thing he did for me. It kicked up my acting career and that was even before ‘The Next Movie Star’.
 What if your husband in future asks you to quit acting?
I would oblige him, he is my husband but we would come to terms with something. There has to be some understanding before I get married. He should understand what I was doing. If he should ask me to quit, it has to be for some really strong reasons that I can’t possibly refuse. We would have to talk about that.
 What are the qualities of your ideal man?
My ideal man might not always be available but he should be tall. He should be fair-complexioned and humble. He should be generous, considerate and tolerant. He should love God, I mean someone who can impact on me and I on him. Someone who gives the best advice and he is business-oriented. He should be handsome because I’m not ugly so that when I wake up and look at you in the morning, I would be happy (laughs loudly).
 What puts you off a man?

Pretension and lies. If I discover these two things in you, I would put my two hands on my head and run.

0 comments: