Sunday 27 September 2015

I do only family friendly jokes —Damola Adegboye

Who are you aspiring to be like in the world of comedy, and why?
I have a lot of people I admire but I perpetually aspire to be like Saco because of his leadership style. Not necessarily because he is a comedian but because of his approach to the job.
What was your growing up like?
Growing up was fun. I am from a very lively family. I grew up in Mushin, Lagos, had my primary education in Bosby Day Nursery and Primary School and Tunyo Primary School. I then proceeded to Federal Government College, Ikirun where I had my secondary education, then Osun State University where I had my first degree and the University of Ibadan where I had my Master’s degree in political science.
Why did you choose comedy as a career?
For me, comedy is an inborn thing. It was initially a hobby, but when people started seeing value in it, it developed into a career because it was converted from a hobby to a product that has monetary value.
Can you briefly define your style?
Simplicity, elegance, maturity. What is your style signature? I really don’t have a particular one, but you will always see me looking sharp and smart.
Apart from comedy, what are the other things you do?
I am a lecturer in the same university I came out of as a first class. This made the school authorities retain me as a junior lecturer. So if I’m not doing comedy, I will be lecturing.
How do you combine them together?
I try as much as possible to marry the both of them together. I have a timetable that I work with, and it has been of good help to me.
How do you give back to the society?
I try as much as possible to assist the few I can, and also help in charity work.
What are your achievements so far?
I have been privileged to enjoy some awesome platforms that I can’t count within and outside the country. I’ve been privileged to anchor Babatunde Fashola’s younger brother’s wedding, co-anchored Pastor Poju Oyemade’s wedding, and other high profile weddings. I’ve done a lot of corporate events with reputable national and multinational organizations like KPMG, Union Bank, Stanbic Bank, First Bank, Nestle, UAC Foods, Flour Mills of Nigeria, to mention a few. God has been faithful. One that is dear to me is a comedy performance of an old woman’s testimony that went viral.
When did you start having passion for comedy?
It started from childhood where I used to mimic my teachers at home after school, I see it as inborn thing, and I also I was in my church drama group all these add together make me know I will be a comedian.
What happened to you when you were a child that you still remember?
A lot of things happened, when I went to visit my cousins and I stood in a colony of soldier ants and I didn’t notice until they were all over me.
What is your philosophy of life?
Keep doing well at what you know how to do best, be humble and focused; you will rise to where God wants you to be. I also encourage as many as possible to go school.
Comedy seems to be the rave now but your education is a lasting legacy that can’t depart from you. I graduated with a first class and I have been doing comedy before I graduated, so it is possible to combine successfully with the help of God.
Are you actually enjoying what you do as a comedian? Are you fulfilled?
I am enjoying what I do, one of my aims is to make people happy and I find fulfillment in it.
What kind of comedy do you think Nigerians want that you are giving them?
For me, I do ethical jokes, I do it clean and make sure its family friendly, most importantly, I make sure people can relate with what I say on stage.
Where do you think Nigerian comedians are not getting it right?
I really don’t know, but I feel the originality is not really in place. I feel comedians should adopt their own style and avoid being who they are not.
What stands you out in the comedy world?
I think my style and my approach to the job stands me out. I can fit into any kind of crowd conveniently. God has always helped me.
Have you been embarrassed on stage before?
The first wedding I anchored, in 2009, my dressing was terrible, and for the whole of that day I wasn’t comfortable with my presentation, it was a nasty experience that day.
Where do you see comedy in Nigeria in the next five years?

I see comedy as a big business in Nigeria. Moreover, it’ll be bigger and better structured and will compete globally.

0 comments: