Saturday 29 August 2015

‘My husband smokes indian hemp in our children’s presence’

• When he poured acid on me, I became scared and I have been having sleepless nights. There was also a day he almost stabbed me with a bottle. I have always been responsible for our children’s upkeep and necessary things in the house. Still, he doesn’t give me peace of mind —Wife
• I still love her —Husband
An Igando Customary Court in Lagos has dissolved the 22-year-old union between Mr and Mrs Godfrey Obioma.
The court’s president, Mr Hakeem Oyekan said that all efforts to reconcile the parties failed, and the court had no choice than to end the marriage.
“Both parties are ceased to be husband and wife. They are free to go their separate ways without hindrance,’’ Oyekan ruled.
The petitioner, Mrs Joy Obioma, had sought the dissolution of her 22-year-old marriage over her husband’s nonchalant attitude.
“My husband has never been responsive. He smokes Indian hemp every morning in our children’s presence. I can’t remember the last time he gave me some money to cater for our needs.
“I have always been responsible for our children’s upkeep and necessary things in the house still he don’t give me peace of mind.” She said.
The 42-year-old trader described her husband as “violent” adding that he always threatened to kill her with a dangerous weapon.
“I usually thought he never meant all he said because of the things he sniffs and smoke but when he poured acid on me, I became scared and I have been having sleepless nights. There was also a day he almost stabbed with a bottle,” Mrs Obioma said.
She also said her husband once burnt the house they live in and ran away.
The mother of four said: “He was in Ghana for years and even when he returned, he still shirks his responsibilities. My husband never referred me as his wife but an “international prostitute” in everyone’s presence which is very embarrassing. He disturbs the neighborhood whenever he is around.”
She pleaded with the court to dissolve the union adding that there was no love anymore and she could not continue to live with him.
In his response, Mr. Obioma admitted smoking Indian hemp but denied never touching his wife violently.
“I still love her,” he said.

The marriage produced four children between the ages of 10 and 20.

0 comments: