Thursday 8 October 2015

I’m Not Here to Inspire Your Children – Female Musician


Zambian singer Kachanana Simate is under immense pressure and criticism from the people of Zambia for stripping down to a bikini to promote her new single Sexy Body.

According to critics, the singer’s picture does not reflect the true character of Zambian culture and as such a disgrace to womanhood, however, the singer believes otherwise.

In a very blunt tete a tete  interview with BBC Africa’s Meluse Kapatamoyo in Lusaka, Kachanana Simate who believes sex sells disclosed she was not perturbed with the insults being hurled at her since her business is to make music and not to serve as an inspiration to young children.
“I think people are now getting to know me as a sexy girl who loves to flaunt it. I’m an artist. I’m not a role model. I’m not an inspiration. I’m not here to inspire your children. You, parents need to inspire your children. My business is music creation.”

Although she admits the picture in bikini sis a bit controversial, she also believes it is just a way of being free and feeling proud in her skin.

“This picture…yes it’s controversial…yes it’s different. People don’t see people proudly showing off their bodies particularly Zambian musicians but I think I look so hot.”

She also believes the heavy backlash is due to the fact that she is a dark-skinned girl.

” I know the negativity is coming from the fact that I am a dark-skinned girl proud enough to put on a bikini and get out there like not a black girl but I’m a dark-skinned girl so I think that negativity also points to the hypocrisy of lot of Zambians”, she said.

0 comments: