Tuesday 6 October 2015

I thought I would sing only in church

How did you venture into music?
I started singing in the church. And I never knew for once I was going to take music seriously because I thought it was going to be about singing in church only. But I started hearing beats and developing professional interest in music.

Tell us about yourself.
Well, I hail from Imo State. I’m an only daughter with four amazing brothers. One is a music video director. Jude Fab-Obi. My parents are late. I am a TV host, OAP, voiceover artist, newscaster, writer and singer. I began my broadcasting career almost the same year I started out singing professionally. 2007.

How was your growing up like?
Growing up was fun. I had everything a little girl could ever desire, and I had a loving father who doted on me. I would say I was born with a silver spoon but lost it when my parents passed away. Things became hard but I resolved not to be looked at with pity but to survive as best as possible and become successful, so I began to pursue success. Well, back to my growing up. I never lacked for nothing, but as loving as my dad was, he was also very protective and while growing, my movement was restricted to certain hours. I was a tom boy, my four brothers had their strong influence on me but it wore off after some years even though sometimes I still find myself dressed as a tom boy.

From your point of view, what are the determinants that can make an artist successful in Nigeria?
First is the proper approach to people. Some care little how they relate with people and tend to come off very annoying and rude. Well, it’s not a good idea if you wish to stay relevant and successful in the music industry. Another factor that should be considered also is what you’re putting out, whether a song or video. Ensure it’s something the audience would find appealing. Having faith and trusting God go a long way too.

Tell us about your song, Shomara, and working with Oritsefemi.
Let me start by explaining what Shomara means. It means ‘Are you mad?’ Don’t accept when someone tells you that you will not make it, instead you tell the person, are you mad, because you know you’re going to make it. Working with Oritsefemi was a great experience for me and he delivered on the song. Oritsefemi is a good example of one who succeeded despite the obstacles that confronted him. While I was in the studio with Fliptyce, after I had recorded my verse, we sat there thinking of who would fit perfectly into the song and then Oritsefemi came to my mind and I called him and we hit the studio and in no time he was done with his verse.

Do you see yourself quitting your TV job when music starts demanding for more time?
I don’t see myself quitting TV. What I might do is start my own TV show so I would have my disposable time to produce and present my programme at whatever time I find suitable.

For someone who works with one of the busiest entertainment platforms, how were you able to make out time for the studio?
It is so tasking that I break down sometimes. But I just don’t know how to stop, so I find a way of planning myself so none clashes with the other.

Outside entertainment, what else do you do?
I guess entertainment is all I do. It’s a lot already. TV hosting, writing, MC, voice over, singing, radio presenting, and I am planning on opening a beauty and fashion house soon.
Apart from listening to your own songs, what kind of music do you listen to?
I listen to Beyonce, Tinashe, Jhene Aiko, Mariah Carey and Frank Ocean and a host of other artists.
What did working with Dede Mabiaku teach you?
I learnt a whole lot, mostly how to perform with a live band.
Should we expect collaboration with Dede anytime soon?
Yes, that’s very possible.
Are you signed to any record label? If not, how are you able to handle your music promotion?
I am not signed to any label at the moment. I’ve just been pushing myself. It’s not been easy, but I guess the onus falls on me while I wait for a management deal or label to come.
Does your tight work schedule give you time for a love life?
Well, this one thing I’ll tell you is that whatever the situation is I will always find a way to make it work.
Describe your ideal man.
God fearing, industrious, handsome, hardworking, caring, compassionate, self-confident, honest, faithful, loyal, Intelligent, mature, dresses well and has a positive attitude.

Would you marry an entertainer like you if one proposes? And why?
I don’t know if I can cope with having a husband who is an entertainer. There’s a whole lot that comes with this our job. It would be too much for the kids. I rather just not in the public glare it saves you a lot of public drama.

Describe Jenny O on a good day at home?
I am fun, witty, sweet and caring to a fault. I love to cook, watch movies, play games and gist.
You seem to have access to most of the artistes in Nigeria’s entertainment industry. How many of them do you intend to collaborate with in the future?
2face,Olamide, Cynthia Morgan, Davido, Phyno, General Pype and Patoranking .

Do you have plans to shoot the video for Shomara?
Yes I do. Shooting videos is not a new thing to me. I’ve already released the video of one of my songs, Follow You Go, and it had cameo appearances from many stars, including Sunny Neji, Dede Mabiaku, Felix Duke, K9, IK Osakioduwa, Buchi, Owen G and FunnyBone. The video was directed by my brother, Jude Fab-Obi .

What is your personal philosophy of life?
Believe in yourself. Don’t wait for people to believe in you, because the moment you start believing in yourself, people would start believing in you.

If you release an album right now, what would listeners get from it?
I would say the very best music, very good value for their money.

Apart from Fliptyce, which other producers have you worked with?
I have worked with Ex-O, Geamat, Kaka Igbokwe, Shogon and Young John The Wicked Producer.

As one who has hosted a fashion show, describe your fashion style?

I like trendy, and comfy. I believe as much as one would love to appear hot and sexy, it’s good to feel comfortable with what you’re wearing.

0 comments: