Wednesday 26 August 2015

Wrote my first song when i was 10 –BMG

Her parents named her Olure­mi Bunmi, but the music in­dustry knows her as Boomer­ang. Here is the story of the ‘Sweet, Sexy, Sassy’ crooner.

Every artiste will be excited about her album. Oluremi Bunmi a.k.a. Boomerang’s first album, ‘Sweet. Sexy. Sassy’, makes her feel the same way. “It has been so exciting and I am so happy because it has been a long time in coming. It is out there and I know that the next thing is to con­tinue going from here,” she told our correspondent at the launch. It was not just that a former La­gos State commissioner as well as a former police boss were at the launch. Or even that it was by all standards, a very successful launch. It was all that and the fact that this long-standing desire of hers was being ful­filled.

“I have songs in the album that are up to three years old but we worked on the album project for a whole year in the studio and I thank God it is done,” she said.

Boomerang has been a part of the Walkerman Movement led by the come­dian Koffi Idowu Nuel for some time, in fact, she said, she has been doing music professionally since 2005.

“I have been in the industry for quite a while now I have been doing this profes­sionally since 2005. People have been in the industry for less time than that and have gotten their break. I pray from here on, my break will come,” she explained.

Of course, she is not in the music for the sake of it and her songs, which she said are ethnic-centric, are pack full with messages.

“When I do songs, I try to put a mes­sage out there. So, if you listen to all the songs in the album you will see that there is something behind it,” she stated.

But she has not left the Walkerman Movement, with which she has done two albums, for a solo career in music.

“But this is my own album. We are a family that decided to come together and do an album, we did that album but we are all individual artistes who can also do solo albums,” she explained.

The artiste, who also does other things on the side including jewellery and T-shirts, said there is ethnic culture in her music, there is pop, a fusion of reggae, soul and rap, “everything is just togeth­er”.

Boomerang said she would pick many of the songs as her favourite in the album that also has an intro and whose videos have been enjoying airplay.

Boomerang said some of the songs to watch out for in the album include: ‘Cred­it’, ‘FlirtyFlirty’, ‘Take Me’, ‘Olowo Ori mi’ and ‘Yepa!’

“Music has always been a part of my life, when I wrote my first song I was barely 10. So when the time came for me to go fully into music I got the support of everyone at home including my parents,” she said.

The Ondo State native had her early childhood in the United States of Amer­ica, U.S.A. and is known by other appel­lations like: Bmg, Akanchawa Duchess, Rap Mayoress and Queen of tha clan, is the only female member of the musical ensemble, Workerman Movement. She has been at it for all of 10 years and has already released two albums with her la­bel mates as well as collaborations with other entertainers.

The sonorous vocalist sings in Eng­lish, Yoruba, raps and does a bit of Ja­maican patoi.

The album features family, soul-lifting and inspiring tunes, groovy ballads fe­male emancipative themes and content driven ideas and features artists like: W4, Sossick, Yemi Alade, Oritsefemi, Kiss, Butafly, Godwon, Q.A, Lowkeyz, Olujazz, Likkle Tee, Omalicha of Rhythm FM, and Westsyde. Among the producers of the songs are: Sossick, Lowkeyz, Ex.O, Joelex, Heartbeat, EL. Magnifique and Lord A.

0 comments: